1 2 3 SO T
St. Louis Blues STL 1 2 0 0 (0-3) 3
35 SHOTS 29
11 HITS 13
10 PIM 8
1/4 PP 2/5

Flames rally, beat Blues in shootout

Monday, 23.12.2013 / 11:19 PM

CALGARY -- There's no quit in the Calgary Flames.

Mark Giordano scored with 4.2 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime and Joe Colborne scored the only goal of the shootout to lift the Flames to a 4-3 win against the St. Louis Blues at Scotiabank Saddledome on Monday.

It was the Flames' League-leading 25th one-goal game. The victory snapped a four-game winless streak for Calgary.

Colborne opened the shootout by faking a deke before throwing the puck between the legs of goaltender Jaroslav Halak. Reto Berra, who made 32 saves through regulation and overtime, stopped all three Blues shooters.

The Blues led 3-1 with less than nine minutes left in regulation, but the Flames refused to roll over against one of the NHL's top teams.

After Mike Cammalleri scored with 8:55 remaining to make it 3-2, Giordano forced OT when he blew a power-play one-timer past Halak with Berra on the bench in favor of an extra attacker, giving Calgary a 6-on-4 skating advantage. The Flames' captain took a cross-ice pass from Jiri Hudler and blasted it past Halak.

The goal came after Hudler set up Sean Monahan at the side of the net with Halak down, but the puck rolled off the rookie's stick when he went to put it into the virtually empty net.

Though a problem with the ice delayed the start of the game, it didn't slow the Blues' power-play unit.

Eight seconds into Giordano's interference penalty, Brenden Morrow took a pass from Chris Stewart and fed a cross-crease backhand to Kevin Shattenkirk for a tap-in 7:23 into the game.

During the stoppage of play before Shattenkirk's fifth of the season, Calgary acknowledged defenseman Jay Bouwmeester's 279 games as a member of the Flames.

Hudler pulled the Flames during a power play midway through the second period. With Vladimir Tarasenko off for holding, Hudler took a cross-ice pass from Mikael Backlund and roofed it over Halak from below the faceoff dot to tie the game 1-1 at 12:06.

The goal came after Backlund's shorthanded breakaway attempt six minutes into the period was swatted away by Halak.

But goals by Jaden Schwartz and Magnus Paajarvi in a 44-second span put the Blues back on top.

Bouwmeester found Schwartz in the slot, and he skipped a shot past Berra's pad at 13:49 to restore the Blues' lead. Paajarvi made it 3-1 when he rushed Berra's clearing attempt, which was cut off by Adam Cracknell along the boards. Cracknell fed Maxim Lapierre for a quick shot that Berra stopped, but Paajarvi scooped up the rebound and buried his third of the season to give St. Louis a two-goal margin.

Cammalleri made it a one-goal game when he took a no-look, behind-the-back pass from Paul Byron behind the net and ripped it past Halak's blocker.

On his next shift, Cammalleri then set-up Mikael Backlund for a one-timer from 10 feet but was denied by Halak's quick pad.

Back to top ↑